Skip to main content

Concerns or complaints about Councils

CONNECT - Message from the Chief Executive

If you are concerned about a council action or decision, or you believe that the council or its employees are not acting in accordance with council policies, procedures or legislative requirements, contact the council office or your local elected council member to make your complaint and ask to discuss the matter.

Visit the Local Government Association of South Australia website for contact details for all councils in the state.

Many issues can be sorted out relatively quickly by approaching the council or your council member in the first instance and finding out the reasons for an action or decision.

However, if you cannot resolve the matter in this way, you may ask the council, in writing, for an internal review. Under section 270 of the Local Government Act 1999, all councils must have a policy and procedures for reviewing their decisions and actions. The council is required to provide you with information about how this review works and what it means for you.

If you are dissatisfied with the council's review, you can contact the South Australian Ombudsman, whose role is to investigate complaints about councils and state government agencies. Details on how to make a complaint can be found on the Ombudsman SA website.

If you have evidence of misconduct or maladministration on the part of a council and/or its staff, you should contact the Office for Public Integrity (OPI). OPI manages complaints and reports about public administration and ensures they are dealt with by the relevant body, and is responsible to the Independent Commissioner Against Corruption (ICAC). Information about how and when to contact OPI is available on the ICAC website.

Codes of Conduct

Code of Conduct for Council Members (PDF 206 KB)

A revised, simpler Code of Conduct for Employees (council employees) came into operation on 2 April 2018. It is a new Schedule 2A to the Local Government (General) Regulations 2013 and replaces the previously Gazetted Employee Code. The revised Employee Code continues to require gifts or benefits received that are of a value greater than an amount determined by the Minister to be included on a register on a council's website. This amount has been determined by notice in the Gazette to be $50. This amount is in accordance with a common amount included in State Government agency employee policies.