- North-South Corridor
- Road Management Plans
- Strzelecki Track Upgrade and Sealing Project
- Goodwood, Springbank and Daws Road Intersection Upgrade
- 'Hahndorf Township Strategic Traffic Planning Study' and 'Hahndorf Township Improvements and Access Upgrade Project'
- Port Wakefield Overpass and Highway Duplication
- Joy Baluch AM Bridge Duplication
- Flagstaff Road Upgrade
- Golden Grove Road Upgrade
- Cross Road and Fullarton Road Intersection Upgrade
- Portrush and Magill Road Intersection Upgrade
- Glen Osmond Road and Fullarton Road Intersection Upgrade
- State-Wide Road Improvement and Renewal Works
- Modernising Road Maintenance
- Main North Road and Nottage Terrace Intersection Upgrade
- Grand Junction, Hampstead and Briens Road Intersection Upgrade
- Mitcham Hills Road Corridor Upgrade
- Subscribe for Updates
- Old Belair and James Road Junction
- Russell Street / Main Road / Sheoak Road Junctions
- Shepherds Hill Road, Brighton Parade and Waite Street Intersection
- News and Publications
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Contact us
- Adelaide Hills Intersections Upgrade Initiative
- South Australian Rural Roads Safety Package
- South Eastern Freeway Pavement Rehabilitation: Tollgate to Crafers
- South Australian Rural Highway Corridor Upgrades
- North East Road and South Para Road Junction Upgrade
- Gorge Road and Silkes Road Junction Upgrade
- Nairne Intersection Upgrade
- Fleurieu Connections
- Angle Vale Riverbanks College Junction Upgrades
- Aldinga Payinthi College Intersection Upgrade
- Transport Network Planning Studies Program
- Marion Road and Sir Donald Bradman Drive Intersection Upgrade
- Sturt Highway Corridor Upgrade
- Salisbury Highway Asphalt Resurfacing Works
- Regional North-South Freight Route Upgrade
- Truro Bypass Project
- Port Road between Grand Junction Road and Earle Avenue, Cheltenham
- Horrocks Highway Upgrades
- APY Lands Main Access Road Upgrade
- Long Valley Road Improvement Works
- Majors Road Upgrade
- Nottage Terrace and North East Road Intersection Upgrade
- Brighton Road Intersection Upgrades
- Karoonda Highway Upgrades
- Princes Highway Upgrades
- Heysen Tunnels Refit and Safety Upgrade
- South Eastern Freeway Pavement Rehabilitation: Bridgewater to Callington
- Fitzroy Terrace Bicycle and Pedestrian Actuated (push button) Crossing Project.
- Wellington Road and Heysen Boulevard Roundabout
- Heaslip Road and Curtis Road Intersection Upgrade
- Amy Gillett Bikeway Extension Project
Regional North-South Freight Route Upgrade
About the project
The Department for Infrastructure and Transport (the Department) will be undertaking works to upgrade the established Regional North-South Freight Route between Sedan and Murray Bridge to improve safety for road users, freight productivity, efficiency and network reliability.
This $12 million package of works is jointly funded (80:20) by the Australian and South Australian governments as part of the Road Infrastructure Stimulus Package.
The first stage of the project was completed in early 2021, and involved 39 kilometres of shoulder sealing works between Sturt Highway and Murray Bridge to improve safety along the route.
The second stage of the project includes widening and strengthening three road bridges along the route at Reedy Creek Bridge (Mannum Road, north of Murray Bridge), Marne River Bridge and Saunders Creek Bridge, (both on Ridley Road, south of Sedan).
These bridge upgrades will increase the width of the bridges, providing oversize vehicles a viable alternative to using the South Eastern Freeway and improving freight productivity in regional South Australia.
Barrier upgrades and shoulder resealing works will also be undertaken as part of stage two works at three further locations along Ridley Road, at Pine Hut Creek, Boundary Creek and Milendella Creek.
Major works for stage two bridge upgrades at Reedy Creek Bridge, Marne River Bridge and Saunders Creek Bridge; and barrier upgrades at Pine Hut Creek, Boundary Creek and Milendella Creek commenced in mid-September 2021. Project completion across all sites is expected by mid 2022, weather permitting.
|Reedy Creek Bridge||Bridge and barrier upgrade works are currently underway with completion expected by mid- 2022, weather permitting.|
|Marne River Bridge||Bridge upgrade works are completed and safety barrier have been installed. This bridge is now completed.|
|Saunders Creek Bridge||Bridge upgrade works are completed and safety barriers have been installed. This bridge is now completed.|
|Milendella Creek Bridge||Upgraded safety barriers have been installed. This bridge is now completed.|
|Pine Hut Bridge||Works to install the upgraded safety barriers are underway with completion expected by late March, weather permitting.|
|Boundary Creek Bridge||Upgraded safety barriers have now been installed. The bridge is now completed.|
Minor finishing works will continue to be undertaken across all sites during March and early April 2022.
Once these works are completed, works to apply the final layer of asphalt on the road surface will be undertaken. Advance notice will be provided via onsite VMS message boards. You may also notice some odour which is common when asphalting works are underway.
To safely facilitate these asphalt works, speed and lane restrictions will be in place. Please follow the directions of on-site traffic controllers and observe traffic signage when travelling through the area.
The Department appreciates your cooperation and patience while these important works are undertaken.
Important information for oversize vehicles
From Thursday, 23 December 2021, oversize vehicles up to 4.2 metres wide are permitted to travel in either direction on the North South Freight Route between Murray Bridge and Sedan.
The Department will continue to tailor community engagement opportunities in line with the latest COVID-19 advice from health authorities.
The project team will provide construction updates and work notifications via social media, letterbox drops, emails and the Project website. We are also available to speak via telephone or can be contacted via email.
For more information please contact:
Phone: 1300 794 880