Heysen Tunnels Refit and Safety Upgrade
The Department for Infrastructure and Transport (the Department) is undertaking a major refit and upgrade of the Heysen Tunnels to address current tunnel elements that are at the end of their service life, improve safety and provide improved traffic management and incident response capabilities.
The proposed works include the design and installation of new tunnel lighting, ventilation, fire suppression and Intelligent Transport Systems (ITS).
The Australian and South Australian governments have jointly committed $75 million (80:20) in funding for the Heysen Tunnels Refit and Safety Upgrade, to be delivered by the Department.
The project scope includes:
- upgrades to the tunnel lighting system to a newly designed LED configuration;
- installation of a new automated fire suppression system;
- upgrades to the tunnel ventilation system;
- repairs to the tunnel lining and installation of monitoring equipment;
- upgrades to the Intelligent Transport System (ITS) equipment including thermal incident detection systems, new and replacement Closed Circuit Television (CCTV), electronic variable speed and messaging signage and over height vehicle detection;
- upgrades to the traffic management system to restrict access to the tunnels in the event of an emergency incident; and
- upgrades to the emergency communication systems, including public address, radio rebroadcast, in-tunnel signage and help phones to improve safety and network reliability.
Works are expected to commence in late-2022, weather permitting.
Where possible, the works are expected to be undertaken at times which minimise disruption to road users. Details regarding working hours and traffic management will be provided in advance of construction works commencing.
The Department appreciates your patience and cooperation while these important works are undertaken.
Phone: 1300 794 880
Face-to-face engagement opportunities may be restricted and we will continue to be guided by the advice of health authorities, with the health and safety of our stakeholders always our highest priority.
Engagement with community and industry is crucial and we will facilitate information sessions as much as possible to enable face to face engagement. It is important to assist in managing these events that you register as requested to enable physical distancing as much as possible.
The project team will provide construction updates and work notifications via social media, letterbox drops, emails and the Project website. We are also available to speak via telephone (1300 794 880).
We encourage the community to register for email updates.